1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

E-mail problem with ISP

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by BOBBO, 2007/08/16.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2007/08/16
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member Thread Starter

For the past few days I haven't been able to send e-mails with my default e-mail client. I'm currently using Netscape 7.1 (I know, I know, but hang on a minute). Several months ago I began receiving warnings from my ISP (ATT Yahoo.mail) that they were shortly going to stop supporting my e-mail client. Then since late last week every time I've tried to send an e-mail I get an error message regarding SMTP settings. Numerous phone calls to ATT's tech support, even Level 2, resulted in much experimentation but no success. They recommended I switch to Outlook or Outlook Express.

It seems I've finally run out of time with NS, at least for sending (receiving still works). My first choice for a replacement would be SeaMonkey, since it's so similar to NS and I'm familiar and comfortable with it. But just now I checked the Mozilla forum and found this thread:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=573869&sid=16c5d2b4c7fadfdfd718138aec4f6a18

If I understand that correctly, would SeaMonkey work with my ISP? Or would Thunderbird, which is also a Mozilla program?

How have the users here of those programs gotten along with ATT Yahoo's mail?

2. 2007/08/16
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Do you have a @sbcglobal.net address?
    If so, I e-mailed a friend who has such address. I am pretty positive that he has tried Thunderbird.
    As for using NS7.1, I am not recommending, because it is so darned old, but, probably, you have missed something in setting up your mail. More, and more ISP demand authentication (i.e. that you are the real person sending the e-mail). Unless they are clueless (I am afraid that they may be) there is no reason why you should not be using NS7.1. They just don't know how to do it.
    Give the correct SMTP (leaving out the username), so that we know what you are talking about.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/08/16
    BOBBO

Westside: Here's the SMTP, which answers your first question, too.

smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com

The ATT tech support people, including their Level 2, have said repeatedly they no longer support any NS versions after v4. I believe the issue involves later versions not supporting SSL, which they now require.

Does that help?

5. 2007/08/17
    BOBBO

Perhaps it will help clarify the situation if I cite the warning message my ISP sent me less than 2 weeks ago:

So my question now is, will SeaMonkey work with my ISP?

Anyone else having a similar problem?

6. 2007/08/17
    Centurion

Centurion Inactive

att/sbc

Those are the WRONG settings...

It should be (pop.att.yahoo.com) port 995
    (smtp.att.yahoo.com) port 465
    These are the right settings. and they will work in any email client such as
    Thunderbird or Poco...

7. 2007/08/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

If Centurion advice is not clear, one gets the settings, automatically, selecting SSL to receive and send.
    And, those settings are available in NS7.2, Seamonkey, and everything else.
    I can't speak for 7.1, which I don't have, but I would chalk that to cluelessness of the support people.

8. 2007/08/17
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

BOBO,

I use SSL settings in Netscape 7.2, SeaMonkey, and Thunderbird for Mail Accts. with my ATT Accounts. The setting in Netscape are here:

Edit | Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings | Server Settings
    SSL is the first option, which should be enabled
    When enabled, you will see the Port change to 995

Here are the AT&T Yahoo! POP and SMTP settings: http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=287

9. 2007/08/17
    BOBBO

Thanks for all the replies.

I made all the recommended changes, individually and in all possible combinations, with and without SSL checked. Getting on-line works every time. Some combinations allow an e-mail connection, others won't. Still no joy sending e-mails. An SMTP error message appears after 20 seconds each time I send a test message to myself. I close down NS and restart it after each change of settings, of course.

One wrinkle that ATT's tech support suggested more than once when I've called them is to change the user name format in the STMP section. The change is from the @ sign to the % sign. I've tried it both ways with each of the other changes. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

It's looking more and more as though ATT closed the door tight on NS 7.1 for sending e-mails. Odd that all the other functions -- getting on-line, receiving e-mails -- still work but sending e-mails now won't. Not friendly of them, either.

I'm curious why so many people (see the mozillazine link I put in Post #1, especially on page 2) have similar problems with their different e-mail clients and ATT-yahoo. That's my remaining concern about switching finally to SeaMonkey.

Last edited: 2007/08/17
  10. 2007/08/17
    Ramona

BOBBO,

Try disabling your AV's outgoing email screening (if you have it enabled). Does that make a difference.

Next:

With Netscape closed:
    Open Notepad
    File | Open

Browse to your Netscape 7.1 prefs.js file located here:
    C:\Documents & Settings\username\Applications & Data\Mozilla\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.slt

Add this script:
    user_pref( "mail.allow_at_sign_in_user_name ", true);

Do a copy paste of the above to avoid a typo. This may not make a difference, but since the @ is in the user name, it will be a little added insurance.

I can't imagine that ATT would block mail coming from mail clients other than OE. In the ATT message, it says:
    Could you post the link for "CLICK HERE "?

Thanks!

Also, you don't want to try a new Mail Client or Browser until you get this problem resolved. It would carry over to whichever Mail Client you decide on, albeit SeaMonkey or Thunderbird.

11. 2007/08/17
    BOBBO

Ramona: I disabled my AV's outgoing email screening but it didn't help.

Then I tried to paste the script you provided into Notepad's *.slt window but it wouldn't stick. I tried it first with the Notepad file | open route, then into the actual *.slt folder itself. Again no go. In Notepad there's no Paste command, and my usual Ctrl+P procedure wouldn't work either place. Whether I used the menu Copy command or Ctrl+C made no difference. I even tried pasting it into Notepad's File name window, but got this error message: "The above file name is invalid" (my quotes). Suggestion?

The "Click here" link you asked for first goes to here: http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=10918

Then after I select my domain (sbcglobal.net) and click on U-verse and the Continue button it goes here:
    http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=10918v

I just tried to duplicate the first step of that and for some reason it sent me straight through to the second screen. Your mileage may differ.

I was afraid of that, and it's one of the main reasons I opened this thread. So now what?

12. 2007/08/17
    Ramona

BOBBO,

The script is to be pasted in the prefs.js file, and not the *.slt folder. I think you might have missed that in my post.

A right click in the prefs.js window, using Notepad, does give a "paste" option. Trying to paste the script into the *.slt folder is why the "Paste" option was grayed out.

If you have the below settings configured in Netscape 7.1 Server Settings, then I'm not sure what more you can do:

POP server: pop.att.yahoo.com.
    SMTP server: smtp.att.yahoo.com.
    Use an encrypted connection (SSL): SMTP port 465
    Use an encrypted connection (SSL): POP3 port 995

POP SSL Settings
    SMTP SSL Settings

Netscape does support SSL settings, see this page:
    http://helpme.att.net/article.php?item=11138&f_application=ns7&f_os=&action=Refresh

I also note that ATT Yahoo includes both Netscape and Thunderbird in the Applications list.

13. 2007/08/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

If your problem is with sending mail, it is no problem to set it right. Unfortunately, I don't have 7.1, but other programs have similar settings. And, I don't have sbcglobal, but my frient "Centurion" has it. You have to go to your Outgoing mail (SMTP) selection, and there too make the changes to SSL. Your server should be:smtp.att.yahoo.com, and the moment you do that the port location will change from 25 to 465.
    Of course, you have to have a check mark next to " "use: username and password ". Anyway, use whichever server name they tell you.
    Finally, it will make no difference if you use Seamonkey, Thunderbird, or what. You got to get those settings right.

14. 2007/08/18
    BOBBO

Ramona: I finally got your line of script in the right place. Didn't help.

I checked to make sure both the POP and SMTP settings were all exactly the way you listed. Test message wouldn't go. Usual error message after 20 seconds. Tried with SSL checked and unchecked, same unsuccessful outcome.

Ramona and Westside You both believe NS 7 supports SSL, but the link regarding SSL in one of your last posts brings up this:
    The fly in the ointment is that my NS is version 7.1, not 7.2

If NS 7.1 can't be made to allow sending e-mails, is it likely that NS 7.2 could? I seem to be getting different signals from the two of you on that point. And if NS 7.2 would work, is there any reason to switch to it rather than to SeaMonkey if I have to finally give up on NS 7.1?

15. 2007/08/18
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I got two strike against me. 1.I don't have 7.1. I don't know what is the difference between it, and 7.2, which I have.
    2. My ISP does not make me jump through the hoops to keep spam down. But, I can check the settings, like yours, in NS7.2. Anyone who wants to send spam would know how to get around the settings, while decent people would have problems.
    Anyway NS7.1 is four years old, while NS7.2 is over three years old.
    I don't like Seamonkey, the browser part (I posted about, and I gave up on SM1.1.4). Its mail had been fine, all along.
    I have no idea why you have so many problems.
    I suggest that you download, and install Thunderbird, a mail standalone. It should be able to import settings from NS7.1, but still, you have to make sure that the settings are ok. I may try to redownload, and install 7.1 to see what it does. I have plenty of leftover profiles.

16. 2007/08/18
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I did install 7.1, in a folder separate from 7.2, with its own profile. I had a heck of a time, because it would not allow me to remove that stupid activation.dll file.
    I was activated twice, with the same username, and it locked up half a dozen times, but, eventually, it opened. I went to the settings, and although selecting SSL to receive mail changes the port to the desired 995, it is another thing with sending. I can select anything, and have an username there or not, and the port stays blank. If I type in something, it does not work.
    Do you have any port number listed, now in Outgoing Server (SMTP)?
    It does not matter to me, but that could be the problem, which I don't have with NS7.2. My NS7.1 is gone, and again, I did not have any problem with its uninstaller, which is good (some people have had uninstaller problems).

17. 2007/08/18
    BOBBO

Westside: My SMTP server is set to smtp.att.yahoo.com and the port is 465, just as they're supposed to be.

Until last week, that and everything else worked fine. Then ATT shut down their support for e-mail clients such as mine (see post #4, above) and since then I haven't been able to send e-mails. Getting on-line and receiving e-mails work OK. It's just that one problem, sending e-mails. And I'm not sure NS 7.2 or any other mozilla-based e-mail client will work now with ATT-Yahoo, judging by that ATT warning message.

18. 2007/08/18
    Ramona

BOBBO,

I'm with Westside, concerning Thunderbird. Why don't you download the Mail Client here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

You will get a window like this Screen Shot. Do NOT select Netscape 6/7, or Mozilla 1.x . Instead, select:
    Don't Import Anything.

Use these settings:

POP server: pop.att.yahoo.com.
    SMTP server: smtp.att.yahoo.com.
    Use an encrypted connection (SSL): SMTP port 465
    Use an encrypted connection (SSL): POP3 port 995

Don't forget to select SSL in the Server Settings.

19. 2007/08/18
    Ramona

I posted on the AT&T Newsgroup, about support for Netscape 7.1. and this is the reply from AT&T:
    So BOBBO, you are correct, in that AT&T can't support Netscape 7.1, due to the application's limitations. It's not their problem, but a flaw in 7.1...

If you aren't comfortable with Thunderbird, then give SeaMonkey a trial. I will be happy to help you with the transition to either application.

20. 2007/08/18
    BOBBO

Ramona: Well, it looks after all like I'll have to bite the bullet and leave Netscape behind and switch to something else. Which "else "? During my phone conversations with ATT-Yahoo tech support, they recommended Outlook or Outlook Express. But I'm already familiar with Netscape, so a mozilla-based program would seem preferable to me. And my wife has NS 7.1 on her laptop and barely knows how to work with it, so minimizing the differences when changing to anything new is a definite concern for her. That all argues in favor of the SeaMonkey suite for us.

A week ago I downloaded the latest version of SeaMonkey. I just haven't installed it yet. I've seen your posts in the past about switching from NS to SM. If you'd help me with the process, I'd appreciate it if you would describe the procedure again or would you prefer to link me to one of those earlier posts?

Now I'll throw a curveball at you. I have my HDD partitioned into C, D, E and F partitions. My Netscape program is in Drive E, but my Profiles folder is in Drive C (C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Applications Data\Mozilla\Profiles). I'd like to create some additional space on C if I could, so I'd like to install SeaMonkey in E and set up the path so it all led to folders and files in E. Can that be done?

Thanks for all the help, and I'm looking forward to having a new program working well.

21. 2007/08/18
    Ramona

But of course, it would be my pleasure.

If you plan on keeping one while you try the other, it's best to create a separate profile, so that you have two: one exclusively for SeaMonkey, and another exclusively for Netscape 7.1.

Create the new Profile using Netscape's Profile Manager. This must be done before installing SeaMonkey, otherwise SeaMonkey will automatically pick up your Netscape 7.1 Profile. Your Profile will become corrupt if you share it between the two applications.

Since you know that 7.1 has a bug which prevents the SSL in SMTP doesn't work, and if you are positive you want SeaMonkey as your browser, then I believe you can allow SeaMonkey to pick up the existing Netscape Profile. Just ensure that the settings are correct, if you decide to do this.

Once you have decided, then let us know, and we can then move the Profile from C: to E:.

Before you begin, do the most important backup of all: Copy your entire Profiles folder to your backup folder. If you don't have one, then I would create an E:\Backup folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.