1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

links on web sites don't always work

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Pegi, 2006/01/16.

1. 2006/01/16
    Pegi

Pegi Inactive Thread Starter

I have a new Dell that came with, what I assume is, the latest version of Internet Explorer. Often, but not always, when I go to web sites, I cannot open links within the sites. Sometimes when this happens, I can right-click and open a link with the "Open" or "Open in new window" command, but at other times I'm not even given that option (those commands are greyed-out). Often it seems I can open the first link I try on a particular web site but then none after that. I am running Windows XP and have DSL.

Pegi,
  2. 2006/01/16
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

To try the easiest thing first:
    1. Make sure that Internet Explorer and Outlook Express are closed.
    2. Go to Start>Run. Type or copy and paste from here " regsvr32 urlmon.dll " (without the quotes), click OK or press the Enter key
    3. OK the confirmation message

Open Internet Explorer and try some links.

If that didn't fix things, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you click a link.

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/01/17
    Pegi

I ran regsvr32... was successful but didn't make any difference as far as opening links goes. The article you recommended said to try six more "run" files, but I couldn't get them to open. I was told that Windows could not open the files because it couldn't determine what created them, then it went through the usual search on the Net to find what created them. Once that was determined, I couldn't decipher what the next step would result in so I gave up.

Pegi,
  5. 2006/01/17
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

When running the remaining commands, each file name must be preceded by the "regsvr32" command:

regsver32 Mshtml.dll
    regsver32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsver32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsver32 Shell32.dll
    regsver32 Shdocvw.dll

All those commands are doing is "re-registering" the dll files. Essentially reminding Windows they are there and to use them.

Miz,
  6. 2006/01/18
    Pegi

some links won't open

When I "ran" these files, I was told that Windows could not find regsver32.

regsver32 Mshtml.dll
    regsver32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsver32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsver32 Shell32.dll
    regsver32 Shdocvw.dll

I then deleted the space betweeen 32 and the rest of the name but was told the same thing. Then I tried simply regsver32, and despite the fact that I was successful doing that yesterday, today Windows couldn't find it. Then I did a regular search for regsver32, but, again, Windows could not find it.

Pegi,
  7. 2006/01/18
    JohnB Lifetime Subscription

JohnB Well-Known Member

File name incorrect

Pegi, Miz you have the file name spelled incorrectly :eek: , should be:

regsvr32 NOT regsver32.

Note no "e ".

Pegi, correct file name and try again.:)

8. 2006/01/18
    Pegi

I think the problem is solved. I went to Internet Options, Privacy, and unchecked "Block most pop-up windows" and now I can access all of the links I was having problems with. I didn't realize site links that the viewer is required to click on in order to view are considered pop-ups. I thought pop-ups were just annoying come-ons.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Pegi

Pegi,
  9. 2006/01/18
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Oops...thanks, John...my apologies, Pegi. I never have been able to proofread the stuff I type. Obviously, I shoulda' copied and pasted. Does it count that I spelled it correctly in my first post? :eek:

Thanks for letting us know how you got it fixed, Pegi...in spite of my advice! ;)

Miz,