1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to schedule creation of restore points

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Herd72, 2005/12/11.

1. 2005/12/11
    Herd72

Herd72 Inactive Thread Starter

Probably a simple question but how do I configure XP so that it makes a new restore point at a set interval, say once a week instead of only when new software is installed.
    Thanks

2. 2005/12/12
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

To change the interval between system restore points, Start, Run, type regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore. In RPGlobalInterval it is set to 86400 (seconds) which represents 24 hours. Change it accordingly.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/12
    Herd72

But it is not making any at all . . .

Thanks for the reply and trying to help me out! The only restore points it makes is if I do it manually. If it is set for once a day then that is fine but mine is not doing that at all. This was why I posted because if I forget to do it then I may have to go too far back on my restores.

Jim

5. 2005/12/12
    Snape

Snape Inactive

Are you sure Windows XP is set to create restore points every 24hours? I only ask because neither my laptop or desktop do this either. I guess I'll search for this entry in the registry when I get home to check if it's identical or not.

Kind regards,
    S

6. 2005/12/13
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

Although System Restore may be set to create a restore point daily, it doesn't always do it. If you add/delete programs and some registry keys it will do it.

I have a feeling it has something to do with how long the computer is switched on, e.g. CPU usage but perhaps someone else knows better than me.

7. 2005/12/13
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Do you have the task scheduler service set to automatic? It needs to be running in order for restore points to be made automatically.

Click start>run and type services.msc. In the window that opens, scroll down to Task Scheduler. To the right under the status column you can see whether it's running or not. If it's running it'll say "started ". Also, in the startup type column it should say automatic. If it doesn't, double click on Task Scheduler and in the window that opens set it to automatic where it says startup type. Then, if you don't want to have to reboot, click the "start" button under "service status ". Once you've set it to automatic it should start whenever you start windows.

8. 2005/12/15
    Herd72

Thanks !

It was set to disabled. I changed it to automatic and rebooted. I will check in a day or so to see if it has made a new restore point.
    Jim

9. 2005/12/15
    Herd72

One more thing ...

Do I now need to go to control panel and use the scheduled tasks to get it to make the restore points?
    Jim

10. 2005/12/15
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

No, XP will (or should anyway) just do it's thing. :)

Last edited: 2005/12/15
  11. 2005/12/16
    Rista

Rista Well-Known Member

[FONT= "Verdana"][SIZE= "2"]You can also make a small script and keep it on the Desktop. All you need to do then is to click this and a "fresh" Restore Point is created.

Here's how to create a script that will create a restore point when you double-click it:

1. Open Notepad, type the following listing and save it with the file extension .vbs. Important! Make sure that you enclose the file name in quotation marks so Notepad doesn't add the .txt file extension to the name. For example "SystemRetore.vbs" or whatever you want to name it. Whatever you call it, it must end in .vbs. If you don't enclose the entire file name in quotes Notepad will save it as a plain text file and it will be useless to you.

Copy and paste only the text in "Blue" below to a notepad file and save it as explained above.

Set SRP = GetObject( "winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore" )
    CSRP = SRP.CreateRestorePoint( "Before Changes ", 0, 100 )

2. Double-click the script file you just created, any time you want to create a fresh System Restore Point.

It only takes a few seconds to do this. And no dialogues are shown to confirm that a Restore Point was created. If you want to double-check you can click "Start" "All Programs" "Accessories" "System Tools" "System Restore" and click "Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time" . You'll see the restore point you just created (called "Before Changes ") right there. Now be sure to cancel out of System Restore.

Regards - Rista[/SIZE][/FONT]