1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

All fonts 'missing'....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MrBeetleman, 2005/05/23.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/05/23
    MrBeetleman

MrBeetleman Inactive Thread Starter

I started my comp. the other day & everything that would use a font was all lines, slashes, etc. The welcome page, desktop, folders etc all had giberish instead of words. Using the icons, I could connect to the internet and run netscape... Even in Netscape the font was changed and was blocky..
    With someone elses computer to compare, I opened "Desktop properties "/ appearance/ advanced and I found 5 weird fonts available to use. That is how I can write this letter...
    **** When I open the c: windows/ fonts file, it is empty, but if I hold my mouse over the folder it says that there are 95mb, folders: fonts, etc. They are just hidden from view, etc. I have already enabled "view hidden files" but no change.
    How do I get my comp. to recognize the fonts again?
    If I restart my computer, all my changes are lost, and the symbols are back.
    Please help.

2. 2005/05/23
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Do you have a system restore point that was made before the problem started? If yes, try reverting to it.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/05/23
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

If the System Restore doesn't work, I wonder if you can copy the fonts back into the folder from the cd? Or if an SFC (System File Check) would affect fonts. Now you have me curious, and I'm off to research this.

Did you do anything unusual lately? Wonder what trashed your fonts? Have you had a look in your event viewers for any weird entries, and have you looked in Control Panel> Fonts to see what is there? I have 258 there, and i don't recall adding any special ones on this install.

Johanna

5. 2005/05/23
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

6. 2005/05/24
    MrBeetleman

MrBeetleman Inactive Thread Starter

I looked in the Control panel folder, and it is empty. The link you mentioned looks promising, but it looks to be for Windows NT. I am not comfortable enough to adopt the directions to XP. I have tried to Restore my comp. but no change.
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    Are there any more?

7. 2005/05/24
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

If you have tried TweakUi and invoked the "Repair Fonts Folder" tool without success, I suspect that a "Repair Install" will be the best fix in your situation. It will replace all the missing fonts and restore the functionality of the fonts folder.

You will then need to reinstall SP2 and the HotFixes since SP2.

Repairing a damaged fonts folder is often extremely difficult unless you have extraordinary skills. It often requires extracting and expanding several fonts from the original install disk and then sometimes a Registry Key must be replaced. It's not for anyone with less than expert skills. MS doesn't even outline any method other than a "Repair Install. "

Last edited: 2005/05/24
  8. 2005/05/24
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

SD2,
    How does one corrupt a fonts folder? I've heard about it, not seen it, personally, but sure would like to avoid it! :rolleyes: :D

Mr. Beetleman,
    Repair Install XP

HTH
    Johanna

9. 2005/05/24
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

Johanna, The source of corruption of any nature is often hard to determine but seems to be even more so when it comes to the Fonts folder.

Generally when someone reports Fonts Folder corruption, they actually mean that the folder no longer has the necessary menu commands to remove or install fonts or display them as they would like. This is usually caused by the folder having lost its "System" attribute. That is easily restored by using the command line "attrib +s" command upon the folder.

At other times, there will be a corrupt font in the folder and it will cause an error screen when that particular font is invoked. In that case, it is sometimes possible to isolate the corrupt font and remove it and reinstall a clean version from the original source (or a backup).

At still other times, I suspect user experimentation accounts for several cases of Fonts Folder corruption. This folder has special capabilities that are closely tied to Registry Keys and improper manipulation of the contents can cause untoward reactions. It is one folder that should be left alone by most users. Merely dragging and dropping certain fonts into this folder may corrupt it. The proper way is to "Install" fonts using the menu commands that the folder affords. If those commands aren't available, it goes back to my original advice as to restoring the System attribute. If that doesn't restore the functionality, a repair Install is generally best.

That is not to say that some individual cases of Fonts Folder problems can't be fixed without doing a Repair Install, but that's not the way to bet. It can get very ugly.

Avoiding the unexplained corruption may not be possible and fixing it may be as easy as having a good backup copy. In that vein, an OS partition image is fine but other backup methods could work as well.

10. 2005/05/24
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

MrBeetleman, On the outside chance that your fonts merely got deleted (slim chance but possible) you could replace them with the ones found in the i386 folder. That could be either from your XP install CD or from the c:\i386, if it exists.

They will be in compressed form but XP has a native EXPAND command that will decompress them on the fly.

First you should create a folder on the C: drive called xfonts. Then open a command window and type:

expand -r c:\i386\*.tt_ c:\xfonts substituting the source as applies in your case. Mine is on the C: drive but yours may be on the XP install CD.

That will give you all the necessary fonts that come with XP initially. You can then go to your Control Panel > Fonts > and add these fonts from the xfonts folder to your system folder, using the "Install New Font" option from the File menu found there.

If that menu option isn't there, it means the Fonts folder is corrupt. Try repairing it with TweakUI and repeating the process. If still no joy, try using drop and drag from the xfonts folder to the Fonts folder.

This is a last ditch effort - if it fails, you have lost nothing.

Always reboot for effect before giving up.

Good luck.

11. 2005/05/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

To expand or add just a bit more info on suferdudes thread and trend of thought and add a few possibilities:
    How do I reinstall system fonts without reinstalling Win XP?
    Keep in mind, the below directions are assuming xp is on c: partition. If yours is in another, you will have to modify the partition letter (paths) to reflect yours.

Make a work folder in c: directory, (using suferdudes suggested "name of choice "), C:\xfonts
    Put the CD in the drive and exit from the auto-run, if it did so
    From the StartmenuButton ->Run line -> Type CMD.EXE
    Type your (cdrom letter):\ and hit enter

CD i386
    EXPAND *.TT_ C:\xfonts
    EXPAND *.FO_ C:\xfonts
    C:
    CD \xfonts
    REN *.TT_ *.TTF
    REN *.FO_ *.FON
    EXIT

After doing this: What you have done is extracted all "298 fonts" from the xp cd to C:\xfonts and renamed these accordingly. Most of these you'll need in the fonts folder, some you won't. (By default some of these are located in the Fonts folder but others are located elsewhere). You can then go to the Fonts folder, Browse to C:\xfonts, and select the ones you need. The following links will help you which are definitely needed:
    Fonts Supplied with Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/typog*raphy/fonts/winxp.htm

how to install or remove a font in windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q314960

You can do this before hand or after. Since this is for tshoot purposes and an experimental elimination of the possibility that the fonts folder is actually empty. You may even wish to install only a few of these to see if they stick. Personally speaking, the fonts of type *.fon is where I am on shaky ground. There are a lot of *.fon files listed and included in the xp\i386 cdrom that are not located in my fonts folder. Many are in located c:\windows directory its self or elsewhere. Since I don't wish to do a studyup on why this is so, this is what I have as far as *.fon goes, that can be found in my fonts folder:
    wst_engl.fon
    wst_fren.fon
    wst_germ.fon
    wst_ital.fon
    wst_span.fon
    wst_swed.fon
    coure.fon
    modern.fon
    roman.fon
    script.fon
    serife.fon
    sserife.fon
    symbole.fon
    wst_czec.fon

Shoot! Here's the list of my "fonts folder ". Note* some of these were installed by applications such as msoffice: Ignore the *.
    *ARIALNI.TTF
    *ARIALUNI.TTF
    *ariblk.ttf
    *ARLRDBD.TTF
    *BASKVILL.TTF
    *BATANG.TTF
    *ANTQUAB.TTF
    *ANTQUABI.TTF
    *ANTQUAI.TTF
    *BAUHS93.TTF
    *BELL.TTF
    *BELLB.TTF
    *BELLI.TTF
    *BERNHC.TTF
    *BKANT.TTF
    *BOOKOS.TTF
    *BOOKOSB.TTF
    *BOOKOSBI.TTF
    *BOOKOSI.TTF
    *BRADHITC.TTF
    *BRITANIC.TTF
    *BRLNSB.TTF
    *BRLNSDB.TTF
    *BRLNSR.TTF
    *BROADW.TTF
    *BRUSHSCI.TTF
    *CALIFB.TTF
    *CALIFI.TTF
    *CALIFR.TTF
    *CALIST.TTF
    *CALISTB.TTF
    *CALISTBI.TTF
    *CALISTI.TTF
    *CASTELAR.TTF
    *CENSCBK.TTF
    *CENTAUR.TTF
    *CENTURY.TTF
    *CHILLER.TTF
    *COLONNA.TTF
    *comic.ttf
    *comicbd.ttf
    *COOPBL.TTF
    *COPRGTB.TTF
    *COPRGTL.TTF
    *cour.ttf
    *courbd.ttf
    *courbi.ttf
    *coure.fon
    *couri.ttf
    *CURLZ___.TTF
    *ELEPHNT.TTF
    *ELEPHNTI.TTF
    *ENGR.TTF
    *ERASBD.TTF
    *ERASDEMI.TTF
    *ERASLGHT.TTF
    *ERASMD.TTF
    *estre.ttf
    *FELIXTI.TTF
    *FORTE.TTF
    *FRABK.TTF
    *FRABKIT.TTF
    *FRADM.TTF
    *FRADMCN.TTF
    *FRADMIT.TTF
    *FRAHV.TTF
    *FRAHVIT.TTF
    *framd.ttf
    *FRAMDCN.TTF
    *framdit.ttf
    *FREESCPT.TTF
    *FRSCRIPT.TTF
    *FTLTLT.TTF
    *GARA.TTF
    *GARABD.TTF
    *GARAIT.TTF
    *gautami.ttf
    *georgia.ttf
    *georgiab.ttf
    *georgiai.ttf
    *georgiaz.ttf
    *GIGI.TTF
    *GIL_____.TTF
    *GILB____.TTF
    *GILBI___.TTF
    *GILC____.TTF
    *GILI____.TTF
    *GILLUBCD.TTF
    *GILSANUB.TTF
    *GLECB.TTF
    *GLSNECB.TTF
    *GOTHIC.TTF
    *GOTHICB.TTF
    *GOTHICBI.TTF
    *GOTHICI.TTF
    *GOUDOS.TTF
    *GOUDOSB.TTF
    *GOUDOSI.TTF
    *GOUDYSTO.TTF
    *HARLOWSI.TTF
    *HARNGTON.TTF
    *HATTEN.TTF
    *HTOWERT.TTF
    *HTOWERTI.TTF
    *impact.ttf
    *IMPRISHA.TTF
    *INFROMAN.TTF
    *ITCBLKAD.TTF
    *ITCEDSCR.TTF
    *ITCKRIST.TTF
    *JOKERMAN.TTF
    *JUICE___.TTF
    *KUNSTLER.TTF
    *l_10646.ttf
    *latha.ttf
    *LBRITE.TTF
    *LBRITED.TTF
    *LBRITEDI.TTF
    *LBRITEI.TTF
    *LCALLIG.TTF
    *LFAX.TTF
    *LFAXD.TTF
    *LFAXDI.TTF
    *LFAXI.TTF
    *LHANDW.TTF
    *LSANS.TTF
    *LSANSD.TTF
    *LSANSDI.TTF
    *LSANSI.TTF
    *LTYPE.TTF
    *LTYPEB.TTF
    *LTYPEBO.TTF
    *LTYPEO.TTF
    *lucon.ttf
    *MAGNETOB.TTF
    *MAIAN.TTF
    *mangal.ttf
    *MAPSYM.TTF
    *MATURASC.TTF
    *micross.ttf
    *MISTRAL.TTF
    *MOD20.TTF
    *modern.fon
    *MSMINCHO.TTF
    *MTCORSVA.TTF
    *SCHLBKB.TTF
    *SCHLBKBI.TTF
    *SCHLBKI.TTF
    *MTEXTRA.TTF
    *mvboli.ttf
    *NIAGENG.TTF
    *NIAGSOL.TTF
    *OCRAEXT.TTF
    *OLDENGL.TTF
    *ONYX.TTF
    *pala.ttf
    *palab.ttf
    *palabi.ttf
    *palai.ttf
    *PALSCRI.TTF
    *PAPYRUS.TTF
    *PARCHM.TTF
    *PER_____.TTF
    *PERB____.TTF
    *PERBI___.TTF
    *PERI____.TTF
    *PERTIBD.TTF
    *PERTILI.TTF
    *PLAYBILL.TTF
    *PMINGLIU.TTF
    *serife.fon
    *sserife.fon
    *LATINWD.TTF
    *POORICH.TTF
    *PRISTINA.TTF
    *raavi.ttf
    *RAGE.TTF
    *RAVIE.TTF
    *ROCC____.TTF
    *ROCCB___.TTF
    *ROCK.TTF
    *ROCKB.TTF
    *ROCKBI.TTF
    *ROCKEB.TTF
    *ROCKI.TTF
    *roman.fon
    *script.fon
    *SCRIPTBL.TTF
    *SHOWG.TTF
    *shruti.ttf
    *SIMSUN.TTF
    *smalle.fon
    *SNAP____.TTF
    *STENCIL.TTF
    *sylfaen.ttf
    *symbol.ttf
    *symbole.fon
    *tahoma.ttf
    *tahomabd.ttf
    *TCB_____.TTF
    *TCBI____.TTF
    *TCCB____.TTF
    *TCCEB.TTF
    *TCCM____.TTF
    *TCM_____.TTF
    *TCMI____.TTF
    *TEMPSITC.TTF
    *times.ttf
    *timesbd.ttf
    *timesbi.ttf
    *timesi.ttf
    *trebuc.ttf
    *trebucbd.ttf
    *trebucbi.ttf
    *trebucit.ttf
    *tunga.ttf
    *verdana.ttf
    *verdanab.ttf
    *verdanai.ttf
    *verdanaz.ttf
    *VINERITC.TTF
    *VIVALDII.TTF
    *VLADIMIR.TTF
    *webdings.ttf
    *wingding.ttf
    *WINGDNG2.TTF
    *WINGDNG3.TTF
    *wst_czec.fon
    *wst_engl.fon
    *wst_fren.fon
    *wst_germ.fon
    *wst_ital.fon
    *wst_span.fon
    *wst_swed.fon
    *AGENCYB.TTF
    *AGENCYR.TTF
    *ALGER.TTF
    *ARBLI___.TTF
    *arial.ttf
    *arialbd.ttf
    *arialbi.ttf
    *ariali.ttf
    *ARIALN.TTF
    *ARIALNB.TTF
    *ARIALNBI.TTF

Now that you have the fonts, you'll need to install them. You'll have a few choices or different ways of doing this. If you can't figure this out, ask.

Once you are sure you have installed everything (fonts) you need, you can delete the work folder (c:\xfonts).

---------A couple of other thoughts---------
    Does this hkey exist in your registry? Does it have a list of fonts?

Open your registry and find the key below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

Sometimes this key gets corrupt or winds up missing due to a variety of reasons. (This is why a restore point may be a solution option. It's possible the registry "Fonts" values pointers, lists, etc. got botched.)
    --------------------------
    Remote but possible: This may have happened due to corruption of the desktop.ini file in the
    Windows\Fonts folder. Make a new one in Notepad. It should be a simple
    text file containing just:

[.ShellClassInfo]
    UICLSID={BD84B380-8CA2-1069-AB1D-08000948F534}

Copy that into Notepad and save it as windows\fontdesk.txt (making
    sure the Save as box uses ANSI coding at the bottom, not Unicode).

Now, using the startmenuButton>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt, type the following, Replace * in the line below "COPY *\FONTDESK.TXT DESKTOP.INI" with the path where you have the fontdesk.txt saved at.

CD \WINDOWS\FONTS
    ATTRIB -H -R -S DESKTOP.INI
    DEL DESKTOP.INI
    COPY *\FONTDESK.TXT DESKTOP.INI
    ATTRIB +H +R +S DESKTOP.INI

------------------
    You still may wind up doing an xp repair but if your interested in the challenge and/or the learning experience rather than the time you may consume playing with the problem, all of the above are full of possibilities.

As a caution and words of advice, describing myself as one who may fight a challenge to the death no matter how much time it consumes, I hope you have a good backup routine at least for any personal items you consider irreplaceable, know how to recover xp and what your options are, and have all the neccessary components, before you need them.

12. 2005/05/24
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

I would just like to begin a round of applause for SD2 & Goddez1 for the font tutorial. I love this BBS! I learn things here all the time, and yes, I take notes. Thank you both for the explanations and directions. If I run into this problem, this info will be invaluable.

Johanna

13. 2005/05/24
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

:eek: I learned all that I know from Ann.

14. 2005/05/24
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi suferdude2,

I got your mail. I hope you don't mind my including this in here. I wasn't aware of it and I don't mind sharing my ignorance, ( or exposing it, as I'm likely to do everyday while on this board). :)

Quote from suferdude2...
    I didn't know this, forgot it, or I have just not commented this to memory. I tend to retain just enough of the basics to get me started or get me by. I have enough trouble just doing this. The finer points tend to get left by the wayside, for discovery or rediscovery, somewhere along the way. This is a handy bit of info to know though, for those who's memories are sharp enough to remember the finites.

Thank you for sharing this and the email. I should have known that you would have considered and "allotted for" the renaming.

pshaw! You'll never get into the "Golden Gates" making these type of statements... :) Luckily, your not made of wood and your name is not Pinocchio. :D

---------
    Thank you also Johanna. As you know, this is not a chore but a joy. I should be thanking this board for giving me a passtime I have a passion for. I couldn't have said it better than you did, "I love this BBS! I learn things here all the time, and yes, I take notes ".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.