1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

XP Service pack 2 CD + Updates?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hypnos, 2006/07/27.

1. 2006/07/27
    Hypnos

Hypnos Inactive Thread Starter

Hi.

Is there anyway to download XP service pack 2 and the updates to put on a cd so I dont have to download them when I reinstall windows?

Thanks

2. 2006/07/28
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

Last edited: 2006/07/28

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/07/28
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

Hypnos,

The ServicePack2 download can be found HERE.
    You can find other security updates HERE. You will probably have to sort by 'KB' (knowledge base) number and download separately (a PITArse in my opinion). It would probably be easiest to install SP2 and then run Windows (or Microsoft) Update.
    The 'slipstream' operation that mailman recommended in the previous post is a good idea... it allows you to make a WindowsXP installation disk that includes SP2. This can also include the other updates if you have the time and the patience to download and organize them. HTH

B :cool:

5. 2006/07/31
    Hypnos

Hi,

ok ive downloaded SP2 and integrated all the files into my xp folder (exactly as it was done in the guide)

I have downloaded and installed ISObuster but I dont have nero burning rom only nero express 6.

Is it possible to create a cd with express?

Thanks, hypnos

6. 2006/07/31
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

That's the same (AFAIK)... click the "Nero" button at the bottom left, that will switch from "Express" mode to "Burning ROM" mode.

Arie,
  7. 2006/07/31
    Hypnos

Im trying but it just gives me a link from the nero website?

This is a copy I got with my dvd burner, maybe i have to buy a full copy or something?

8. 2006/08/01
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

ic. I don't think you'll be able to successfully burn your copy without access to the settings as described in the document.

Arie,
  9. 2006/08/01
    Hypnos

Ahh, ok!

Is there no free software that could do the same?

10. 2006/08/01
    SonofThunder

SonofThunder Inactive

If you're just looking for a program to burn an ISO with, cdburnxp works, as does nero 6 express. If you open up nero express, I think the burn image option is under copy disc.

11. 2006/08/01
    Hypnos

I just burned all the files to a cd then took them to my friends who has the full version so I now have an XP-SP2 bootable cd! :)

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

12. 2006/08/02
    JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Inactive

13. 2006/08/15
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

Yes, I expect it is possible to create a CD from an .ISO image with Nero Express 6 because, last night, I used Nero Express 5 (that was bundled with my Lite-On DVD ROM/CD-RW) to burn a bootable slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD from an .ISO image.

===================

How to create a CD from an .ISO image with Nero Express 5 (probably the same steps or similar with Nero Express 6)...

• Upon opening Nero Express 5, there is a section of the window titled "What would you like to burn? "
    • Select the last item in the list: "Disc image or saved project "
      (This pops up an "Open" window.)
    • In the Files of type: field, select "Image Files (*.nrg, *.iso, *.cue) "
    • Browse to the the folder that contains the .ISO image you already created.
    • Select the .ISO file and click the "Open" button.
      (This opens up another Nero window.)
    • Verify your destination drive is correct and then click the "Next" button and the burning process will begin.

I just burned another slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD while writing the steps above to be certain I outlined the procedure correctly.
    (2 minutes 28 seconds after clicking the "Next" button (at 48x recording speed): Voila! I have a bootable slipstreamed Windows XP SP2 CD!) :)

I have not yet tried installing Windows XP Home SP2 from the slipstreamed CD to a formatted blank hard drive yet to be 100% certain the installation will work. I will order a couple drives from NewEgg before I try it. However, when I insert the CD into my CD drive, the "Welcome to Windows XP" menu comes up. So far all looks OK.

EDIT: I also booted to my slipstreamed CD and it successfully went to the Windows XP installation menu (after a bunch of drivers loaded from the CD). Of course, I pressed the F3 key to exit the installation menu because I'm not ready to fully test the install process yet. :)

Hypnos, if you decide to give my steps above a shot, please let us know how it works for you.

EDIT #2: Hypnos, I used a different method than you did to create my slipstreamed .ISO image, so your results might differ from mine. (I know it appears you already have a slipstreamed bootable SP2 installation disk. I just thought you might like to try my Nero Express method out and compare with my results.)

Last edited: 2006/08/15