1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Fasterfox?

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by James, 2005/11/08.

1. 2005/11/08
    James

James Inactive Thread Starter

I'm curious about the experience of others in this group relating to the Fasterfox extension. I downloaded and installed it the other day and for the life of me I can't see where it sped anything up. Other than adding one more thing to the bar above my task bar, it appears to be a rather useless extension. BUT... I'm willing to hear what the rest of you have found.

And how does it compare with the Firetune? Is one better than the other? Do both more or less do the same job? OR do both simply pretend to speed things up?

2. 2005/11/08
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I was using FF1.5, and, it is, probably incompatible, and, and of all the incompatible extentions, I could think of several which which I would rather have. All this speed things, do one thing, i.e. keep loaded bookmarks, extentions, etc., so it takes less time to load the program, this happens, once or twice each day, and you may have a program open twenty seconds faster. So, my 1.5 is faster (opening) than 1.0.7 (which I am using now), but, it has no Tabs, few bookmarks, and extentions. What about comparisons?
    And, then? I have cable, and, my worst program renders awfully fast.
    I have had poor experience with Netscape or Mozilla Quick Launch, and I expect problems with other similar extentions, but I will check them out.

Read the feedbacks .

Last edited: 2005/11/08

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/11/08
    James

We have cable as well, Westside. The difference between us appears to be in the version of FF. I refuse to upgrade to 1.5 until it leaves beta status for the very reasons you cite: loss of extension usage. So, my question remains but I suppose I need to qualify it:

With FF 1.0.7 does one actually achieve more speed (faster rendering I suppose) with Fasterfox? What about Firetune?

Any other comments? (I think I'll expand this to another group while I'm waiting so please... forgive my impatience).

5. 2005/11/08
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Don't be so impatient. I gave you a link to the extention, and if you scroll down, you will see the opinion of users.
    The fact that several extentions have no access to 1.5 has nothing to do with its beta status. The extentions are created by individuals, and are not part of the program. Why and what causes the ention to be incompatible, beats me. I am a programmer, but the programmers will make changes if they feel that it is worthwhile.
    When Ilooked for extentions for Firefox, there was no Firetune, but there was FasterFox. The description tells me than a number of tweaks are available, but you should expect anything dramatic. The only place where it could come handy is in the startup. Rendering is pretty fast, in spite of the fact that I was doing a virus scan.

6. 2005/11/08
    James

Westside,

I know you gave me a link and I did read the comments. The problem is, they did not completely address my question (i.e. comparison with Firetune).

I'm confused by your comment that extensions have nothing to do with the beta status of Firefox. I understand that the extensions are written independently BUT when FF upgrades to a beta version not all programmers are capable of keeping up (you know... they may be busy with other things) and thus in a very real sense extensions ARE somewhat dependent upon the beta status of the browser. You yourself admitted that when you upgraded to 1.5 some of your extensions gave you problems. I'd rather wait for 1.5 to become finalized AND the writers of the extensions I use "catch up" so to speak.

Here's the link for Firetune:

http://www.totalidea.com/freestuff4.htm

Have you tried it?

7. 2005/11/08
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I don't have to check Firetune, and it was not available in the Extentions.
    Fasterfox is available, and I installed it. I think that it is impressive, and it is quite customizable. I used the custom settings, and it really works. It is easy enough to scale down the tweaks.
    I am using the extention in 1.5rc1, along with a couple other extentions. So, I am sticking to my original statement that the beta status has nothing to do with the incompatibility. It is just a case that individual programmers are just waiting. I am not going to wait, because 1.5rc1 is good, and I have enough extentions to work with. FYI, I have fiiresomething, Fasterfox and Forecastfox in my 1.5.

8. 2005/11/19
    oshwyn5

oshwyn5 Inactive

tools/ extensions/ get more extensions and it was second in most popular.
    It looks like it just automatically makes the changes which a lot of folks did manually through about:config in terms of pipelining, and cache etc.
    So if you had previously done this, it probably made no noticeable difference.

9. 2005/11/20
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

I've found that extension incompatibility isn't a problem if you use the MR Tech Local Install extension. I have several extensions that aren't compatible with FF 1.5rc3, but they all work perfectly when installed with Local Install. It makes handling extensions and themes a piece of cake.

10. 2005/11/21
    James

Looks a bit confusing to someone like me, Jim. I think this might be a great extension for someone with some technical skills but for others???

11. 2005/11/21
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I hope we get some comment from James, who, also, panned Firefox/Thunderbird. In my case, I install all the extentions which I know that are compatabible from downloaded .xpi files. After that I check if there is an update, and do the update from the program. For instance, I just found out that Roboform has an update, and, I did the update from the Extention window of 1.5rc3.
    I will try to be more specific about my statenent about the beta status having nothing to do with extention. I will qualified it as "certain" extentions. Fasterfox is one of them.

12. 2005/11/21

JSS3rd Geek Member

Actually, this is a great extension for someone with NO technical skills.

13. 2005/11/21
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Jim,
    if we are all speaking of MR Tech extention, it has a lot in it, which is not at all needed. I confess my ignorance about its existance, and I have been doing fine without it. I don't think that it requires technical skills, but it can be confusing.

14. 2005/11/21

JSS3rd Geek Member

MR Tech Local Install settings ...

MR Tech Local Install probably is the most useful of the ten extensions I have installed. The Options sheet may look intimidating when first seen, but the only settings I think are important are ...
    under General:
    on the Install Paths tab, enter the Default Install Path, if you download and archive your extensions, as I do. Do the same for themes, if you use them.​
    under Manager Hacks:
    on the Behavior tab, check "Sort Extensions (Themes) Alphabetically ", if you find this desirable..

on the Window Options tab, check both options under "Show Items: ".​
    under Miscellaneous:
    check "Disable XPI install time delay" and "Allow web sites to install software ". On the Allowed sites I have only addons.mozilla.org and update.mozilla.org.​
    With apologies to Mel Reyes, who wrote the extension, I think the rest of the settings just provide window dressing. :)

I hope this puts to rest any misgivings any of you may have about using the extension.

15. 2005/12/19
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I got the extention the day after I posted. It is very useful, and, I, agree with your evaluation. I am not sure if there is window dressing, but not necessary. It is a good extention.