1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrdutt, 2004/11/20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/20
    mrdutt

mrdutt Inactive Thread Starter

I have had this computer for about 4 years now and I have not had a single problem with it, but recently I keep getting this error that says "internet explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close ". I have run ad-aware, spybot search and destroy, and 2 different virus scanners, and nothing comes up, what should i do???

2. 2004/11/20
    mrdutt

i forgot to say, i tried to do a system restore but it wouldnt let me, the bar went all the way up then my computer didnt do a normal restart where it logs off of windows, my computer just went off then came back on and it said system restore incomplete. Another thing I forgot to mention is that, usually when i leave my computer alone for a while, my computer goes into "hybernating mode" where it shuts everything down but its still on. but now when it goe into hybernating mode, it "hybernates" for a split second then it instantly turns back on, my computer is acting very wierd....please help me

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/21
    mrdutt

wooaaaahhh, now my computer is extremely slow and I hear a lot of hard drive activity, what is going on???????

5. 2004/11/21
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello mrdutt,

Have you done a defrag or chkdsk? Run chkdsk from a cmd prompt as chkdsk /r

Four years is about the time for HD failures to show up. To confirm or eliminate that go to the HD manufacturer's site and get a HD diagnostic utility.

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/11/21
  6. 2004/11/21
    mrdutt

i ran chkdsk and it didnt give any results, it just said it is complete, is that what is supposed to happen? also, i deffraged, that helped speed up my computer a bit, i dont think my hard drive is failing, it seems like spyware or a virus but i have run ad-aware and nothing comes up and i ran norton and nothing shows up, i have all windows updates, oh and one more thing i should mention is that i have been getting this pop up that says "DrWattson Postmorttem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close" what does this mean?

7. 2004/11/21
    JoeHobart

JoeHobart Inactive Alumni

1) get current on windows update. download and install everything you havent yet.

2) download and install the debugging tools from here

3) open a browser window

4) open a DOS prompt and type the bold commands
    Code:
    c:\> [B]cd  "\program files\debugging tools for windows "[/B]   (or wherever you installed them to)
    c:\program files\debugging> [b]adplus -crash -pn iexplore.exe[/b]

( note that you will have another window open running the debugger at this point

5) using the browser window you opened in step 3, do whatever it is you do to make it crash

6) use the dump data collection tool from my signature to analyze the dump that ADplus will generate when it crashes.

This is pretty hard core, if something is confusing in my brief comments above, please ask questions.

8. 2004/11/22
    Newt

Newt Inactive

i ran chkdsk and it didnt give any results, it just said it is complete, is that what is supposed to happen?

Chkdsk can be run to check for problems but not fix them. I have no idea what happens then since I don't think I've ever done that.

If it is run to fix problems via a cmd window and
    chkdsk /f
    or
    chkdsk /r
    or from the location pictured below with either or both of the options checked, it will either run immediately on a non-system drive or at next boot on a drive with either the OS or other system piece like pagefile loaded, it should place an information item in your application event log with details.

start => run => eventvwr.msc and look for the Winlogon event.

Newt,
  9. 2004/11/22
    mrdutt

I tried to do this, but I am not smart enough to figure this out.....is there anything else I can do?, I would just reformat because I dont have any important files on my computer, but if I reformat my internet settings will be lost right?, then I will have to have roadrunner come and re-install it

10. 2004/11/22
    Newt

Newt Inactive

if I reformat my internet settings will be lost right?,

Right. All gone.

then I will have to have roadrunner come and re-install it

Nope. You can set it up yourself after the reinstall. You just need to have the information where you can refer to it.

- click on start => run, key in CMD and OK.

- type in
    Code:
    ipconfig /all > c:\config.txt
    - print c:\config.txt

- open IE then tools => internet options => connections => Lan Settings. Then with the window open and selected (top border is bright blue), hold down the CTRL key and press Print Scr while you hold down CTRL then release. Open Paint or any other picture editor and paste the picture of the window then print it.

- open OE, locate the settings (sorry, not running it so can't give specifics) and do the same for any informational/setup windows so you also have printed copies of them. Make sure you include the page with your email account, the POP server details, and the SMTP server details for your ISP.

When you have your system setting up again, it should ask you for network card settings. The ones you need are in c:\config.txt.

Once it's running, go into IE and set things up based on the picture and then the same for OE.

Newt,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.