1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

computer restart relooping

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by gary247, 2004/01/18.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/01/18
    gary247

gary247 Inactive Thread Starter

The computer continues to loop back into start up. It doesn't matter if I log onto network or cancel. Can only get into windows by going to safemode. There is no blue screen of death. Have checked for viruses, none present. Any ideas of why it is relooping? Video card? The oc is windows 98

2. 2004/01/18
    tel33

tel33 Inactive

Try scanreg /restore and choose a point that says the system restarted, you can do this in dos.
    Remember that you only normally have 5 backup registrty entries, if none work, then try reinstalling win98se from dos.
    Hope this helps

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/01/18
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Could BE's..if the problem isn't fixed by restore of scanregs backup.

#1========
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=148919

This behavior can occur if Win.com is called from the Autoexec.bat file using the /W or /WX switch.

Restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key or tap the F8 key after your computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu. This may take more than one attempt as it is a matter of catching that correct split second timing in the bootup process.

Type the following line and then press ENTER:
    edit autoexec.bat
    Locate the line that reads:
    win.com /W
    -or-
    win.com /WX
    Remove the "win.com" line.
    Save and then close the Autoexec.bat file.
    Restart the computer.

#2========
    Have you tried using the msconfig tool to do a diagnostic startup by eliminating [disabling] all possibles and reenable each until you find the culprit? The fact that you can bootup in safemode indicates something not used while in safemode is the problem. You need to "narrow your search ", "zero in" and "pin down" what it is.

#3=========
    Darn memory....I also know there's a switch, file or call that is set after an application, update or system change that for some reason does not get deleted,removed or cleared......I just can't remember what it is, off the top of my head.I will have to go look this up unless someone else knows what I'm thinking.

#4=======
    You may have a corrupted bootup "start sound" file or bad graphics driver. Something loading in startup thats bad. A corrupted font.

While in safemode you may need to run sfc, only interested in files flagged as corrupt.....See:

Sfc is best left, used as an extractor for file replacement and a "Helper" tool ONLY. For those who have no foreknowledge or familiarity with their OS files, drivers [.dll's etc.] it will be very confusing and intimidating. In addition, in many cases, be down right dangerous when it comes to inflicting cases of "Versionitus ".

If you do not use it often and routinely to update the baseline file such as after all upgrades/updates, new installations or uninstalls you can easily be over whelmed by all the files that get flagged.

Don't get me wrong, this can be a good tool for a troubled OS but it takes a great deal of upkeep and a thorough understanding of how the baseline file list and files of description: altered/changed, corrupt, and deleted are determined.
    For example:

Altered files= If System File Checker detects a change in date, time, size, or version, it considers the file to be........

Changed= a change in date, time, or version, file will be reported as changed. SFC can not determine if this was a good/bad, planed or unplanned. It is up to you as the user to determine if this change was an due to an unplanned overwrite, virus, system glitch etc. or an "expected "/planed change as a result via an update/upgrade or install.

Maybe Corrupt= You are always notified of damaged files. A file is identified as damaged if its date and version match, but the "CRC" [File size: A checksum added to a file entry whenever a file is written to disk, used to see if the file has changed] value does not match the baseline. Usually, if a file is flagged as corrupt your best bet is to err on sfc determination that it is corrupt. You should have enabled the option to always backup file before replacement in case of mis- judgment.

Deleted=self explanatory.
    NOTE*I had this option enabled but have since disabled it as I frequently install and uninstall app's and games. This got to be more of a nuisance than an aid.

========To sum up=======
    This tool should only be used as a helper app unless:
    *You have formed a habit of running this as part of a regular routine to keep the "baseline list" up to date such as after an update/upgrade/install/unistall,
    *Or are specifically using it to check for "file corruption flags" due to current application problem]. Any file flagged as corrupted or changed should be further investigated before taking sfc's word that it needs replacement. If a file is flagged as such just click sfc's "ignore option" for now, until you can confirm it is not part of a recent install or update.
    note*Generally never replace a newer version file with an older one.

ADDITIONAL NOTES*
    1]there are always exceptions to every rule and there are even workarounds for the exceptions.
    2]Usually, if a file is flagged as corrupt your best bet is to err on sfc determination that it is corrupt. It has a backup option that will offer to backup any file you replace so this is reversible.
    3]known bug in original win98 SFC has been fixed with updates or winSE, but if you have not employed such updates:
    You must be careful to browse[point] to specific cab folder when dealing with certain key file replacements as indicated by links below:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q192/8/32.asp

Last edited: 2004/01/19
  5. 2004/01/19
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Check if your fans are workink OK...your computer has enough of an air flow....open your case, run it open for a while, and see if your problem is still there.

6. 2004/01/19
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

If the problem does not happen in Safe Mode then one of these areas holds the key to your problem...

Things not used or loaded while in safemode:

Items in the Startup folder are not loaded.
    Startup programs normally launched from the Registry are not launched.

Only basic system drivers are used "” protected mode drivers normally launched from the Registry are not launched.

CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT (already tested above) are not executed.

The [boot] and [386Enh] sections of SYSTEM.INI (already tested above) are not executed (except that Load= and Run= lines are processed.

Programs listed on Load= and Run= lines in the [windows] section of WIN.INI, however, are not launched.

HIMEM.SYS is loaded with the /testmem:eek:n switch and all other switches suppressed.

IFSHLP.SYS is still loaded.

Dblbuff.sys (if present) is loaded with the /d+ switch.

This site may help:
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

=============
    While this is Winme specific it may still be worth a look-see:

SYMPTOMS
    When you attempt to connect to the Internet, your computer may shut down and then restart. You may experience this behavior during the authentication process with your Internet service provider (ISP), or when you start Microsoft Internet Explorer after you are connected to your ISP. As a result, you may be unable to connect to the Internet.
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if both of the following conditions are true:
    Norton Personal Firewall is installed on your computer.
    You connect to the Internet by using a Dial-Up Networking modem connection.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306245

I figured if this is also a problem for win98 and user has IE auto-connecting on bootup/startup it may also force or cause restart glitch.

===========
    Hmmm...is this not also a symptom of msblaster virus????

7. 2004/01/20
    Ryder

Ryder Inactive

Geez - I had a similar computer with the same problem - I asumed it was hardware, since I used the Maufacturer's CD to re-install windows. (Note - if you try that, BACK UP ALL IMPORTANT DOCUEMTS/ETC. FIRST, as this will erase everything on your hard drive, and leave you with only windows installed.)
    Anyway, note to goddez1 - blaster worm doesn't affect W98/Me, only NT-based systems (NT, W2K, XP, etc.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.