I've had the Google redirect problem for the last two days. I ran Spybot, Ad
-Aware, Malwarebytes, and Gmer. Only Gmer reported a suspicious atapi
.sys file in c:\windows\system32\drivers. The other programs found nothing that would solve this problem.
Here's what I did:
From another networked computer (that has no problems), I went to DOS and changed to the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder. I copied the atapi
.sys file to the computer with the Google redirect problem. The file date (on the problem computer) kept changing automatically to today's date (from 04/13/2008) within seconds after I copied the file. So, I ran the "attrib +r atapi
.sys" command to make the file read-only on the good networked computer. Then I copied the read-only file again to the problem computer. Since then, the file date has not changed, and I've had NO redirect problems when searching at Google.
I'm not sure at this time if the problem is completely fixed, but it appears that it is.