Over at the RADIFIED forums
there is an ongoing topic
which from reply #9 has developed into a discussion on Symantec LiveUpdate and Task Scheduler. This has been a topic on the Windows BBS before and I thought that it would be a good idea to bring the findings to Your attention and for Your convenience, I quote the (at the time being) latest posts:
There has been a change in functionality regarding this issue and NIS 2003: |
When it was installed originally, the 4 hour schedule was set up by default. When 4 hours had passed, the task scheduler ran. If no connection, it was temporarily rescheduled to 5 minutes. It continued on 5 minutes until a connection was made and then reverted to 4 hours. It also ran immediately when the computer was restarted and the 4 hour schedule had been missed.
At some point in time it changed to sticking with the 4 hour schedule no matter what. You may have to wait up to 4 hours before it connects but it may also happen in a minute.
If You change the schedule to a shorter interval, it gets reset to the default 4 hours at first connection.
The only remedy is to add a second schedule at a shorter interval, I have it set to 5 minutes.
That metod is actually recommended by SS (Symantec Support) but regrettably, I can not find the article right now.
(This is an unneccessary load on the system but I have found no way to have it quit the 5 minutes schedule once it has connected. Maybe if I create a separate schedule and not a combined.)
I believe that I have nailed the bastard ...... 8) ...... :-X ...... ! |
I tried to add a new scheduled task but had a notification "... blah ... blah ... error code 0x80070005 access denied". This is due to the security enhancement in SP2, see “0x80070005: Access is denied" error message when you create a scheduled task in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
I didn't follow the workaround nor did I download the fix but I changed the account "Run as" from my account to the same as the default Symantec NetDetect task which is "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" (without the double quotes).
This is what I did:
Double-click "Add new scheduled task" > Next > Browse > C:\Program\Symantec\LiveUpdate\AUPDATE.EXE > Open
I kept the suggested name AUPDATE > marked the radio button "Logon" > Next
I changed the user name to "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" (without the double quotes) > Next
Check the box to go to "advanced options" > Finish
Under the "Settings Tab", uncheck everything > Apply > OK
I will check once more to verify but it seems like it runs at automatic single user login and the default task "Symantec NetDetect" gets rescheduled to 4 hours after the additional task "AUPDATE" was run.
Checked and double-checked ...... ;D ...... it works and warrants an addition under the "Task Tab":
Comment: I nailed the bastard!
If You can spare the time, read the original thread from reply #9 onwards. That will "fill in the blanks".