1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

PartitionMagic Ver. 8.0

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Rockit, 2004/09/30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/09/30
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive Thread Starter

When I run PM and try and create a new partition it prompts to reboot and I get the following error messege: "xmnt2002.exe PM is unable to read the batch file. Verify that the system32 directory is not compressed or corrupt "

I've searched the web to try and find a answer and also Symantec's site but the only suggestions so far are to check a reg entry which I did and is correct. Also upgrade to newer version which I don't really want to do since this one worked fine till the SP2 upgrade.

Any Idea's ??

Thanks Allot
    Rockit

2. 2004/09/30
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Rockit

I run XP Pro sp2 with Partition magic 8.0 with no problems. If I were you, I would uninstall PM 8.0 and reinstall.

I have xmnt2002.exe in my system 32 directory at 1327KB and it is a PM 8.0 ver 8.0.0.0 file. It was put there by the installation of PM 8.0.

Maybe you can extract a copy from the PM disk and replace the corrupted one? But then it might not be the only file corrupted so a reinstall would be the way to go.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/09/30
    Rockit

Hey Bill,
    Done that about four times now?? Also did a reg check and deleted all powerquest entries and then ran regseeker and cleaned out the dead links then tryed to reinstall and I'm getting the same thing. It use to work just fine but since I haven't used it in a few months I can't pinpoint when it stopped working.

Thanks
    Rockit

5. 2004/10/01
    Rockit

Well I got rid of that error message by stopping a program I have that deletes the cache and temp files on system shutdown.

Now I get error 1529 and Symantecs site say's to run chk disk which I did and I'm still getting it even if I try to create a partition using the bootup floppy's?

All I want to do is increase the size of an existing partition.

I've been trying to create another one then merge it to the one that's allready there?

Thanks
    Again
    Rockit

6. 2004/10/01
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Rockit

I just resized my Boot (C) Partition.

1) Used the Pick a task on the left screen. (Wizzard)

2)Told it to resize my C: using space from my D: and E:.

3) The wizzard said there were 5 tasks to do. I clicked Apply.

4) PM rebooted and an info screen came up doing the 5 tasks.

5) 100% completion and PM rebooted. Everything was done.

I have tried to do these things without using the wizzard and it never seemed to work.

If the wizzard doesn't work, maybe an XP repair?

7. 2004/10/01
    Rockit

Bill,
    Tried your suggestion and here's what I get ..

error 1529 information mismatch in directory entry

Not ready to do a system repair just yet but will keep that in mind if nothing else works..

Thanks For your time.
    Rockit

8. 2004/10/01
    Rockit

Heres what Symantec say's:

"Error 1529: Information mismatch in directory entry (EA3905F9)"

Situation:
    You see "Error 1529: Information mismatch in directory entry (EA3905F9)" while using one of the following products:
    - PartitionMagic
    - PartitionMagic Pro
    - Drive Image
    - Drive Image Pro
    - DriveCopy
    - VolumeManager
    - ServerMagic

Solution:
    Run CHKDSK /F on the affected drive. For instructions on running CHKDSK, see the document How to run Microsoft CHKDSK from the command line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note: If this error is in a system file (file 0-10), Windows NT® CHKDSK does not fix it, but Windows NT rebuilds the root directory on the partition the next time the operating system is started.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information:
    A file attribute stored in a file record is different from the attribute stored in its directory entry.

I ran Chkdsk /f and still no go?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Rockit

9. 2004/10/05
    Eck

Eck Inactive

There is an update to PM 8.01 that, last I checked, was still in the Symantec support section under updates. That fixed a bunch of bugs in the original 8.0. PM came up with that error on me once before I updated to 8.01. Although Chkdsk repaired the damage for me, I didn't trust the result. Before I'd come across stuff not working and having to mess with OS files, I repartitioned the whole drive and started over clean.

If Chkdsk didn't fix it for you, I'd download that update, install it, make a PM bootdisk that uses the newer files, then boot from that and erase and set up your partitions with the boot disk. Once you have your first OS set up, install PM and update it. Then, you can run the program and use it to change the active partition to install the next OS (right click, advanced, make active). Rinse, repeat, and when you're done installing the OS's, make the partition you're gonna install BootMagic on active, boot to it and install Boot Magic. The configuration window will open and have listed all your OS's so you can choose the order they're listed in, rename them, pick a default one, etc. Since I make'em all Primary's, I set BootMagic to use advanced partition hiding for good measure. I like things totally separate. This way, it also wont matter what order you install the OS's in since they wont see each other anyway.

Eck,
  10. 2004/10/05
    ackerberg

ackerberg Inactive

I second Eck's suggestion about using the boot disks. It is the safest way to go. I just installed PM, did the update to 8.01, and all works well. I installed a 2nd HD and have changed the sizes of the new partitions to accomodate Linux without any problems. In fact I have the free space between two partitions, so I can add space to both when I want to.

11. 2004/10/05
    Rockit

Well guy's
    I took your advice and now along with the 1529 error I'm also getting this new error: "Error 1516 disk improperly dismounted"

I don't know what else to do at this point other than try a different partition software.

Thanks For the suggestions ..
    Rockit :mad:

12. 2004/10/06
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Rockit

Have you seen this solution for error 1516?

I found the error lookup at Symantec support for PM 8 here

13. 2004/10/07
    Rockit

Thanks Bill,
    I have tried all the suggestions and also booted from the windows xp cd and in recovery mode did a chkdsk /r and now I'm back to my original problem: "error 1529 information mismatch in directory entry "
    I even tried to do the special boot options from the partition magic bootup disks and still no go :( ... I guess I'll just have to wait till I can format my hard drive and reinstall everything before I will be able to enlarge the partition.

Thanks For All Your Suggestions !!
    Rockit

14. 2004/10/08
    Rockit

Partition Magic and Disk Errors

Ok .. I finally got a semi solution .. here goes:

Imaged c:\ to e:\
    boot from the partition magic disks and format c:\
    create a new partition: h:\
    format h:\
    restore image for c:\
    boot to windows and copy image files from e:\ to c:\temp
    back to the boot disks and format e:\
    merge h:\ into e:\
    back to windows and because partition magic now say's c:\ is ntfs 3.1 and e:\ is ntfs 3.0 ... Format e:\ in windows..

Now both partitions info say's ntfs 3.1

Problem??
    Now when I have Partition magic check the partitions it finds disk errors on both partitions and cannot use partition magic again .. it just errors out.

Acomplished what I was trying to do (enlarge e:\) but now I still amd getting those annoying error messages about directory mismatch and file system error's.

Chkdsk /f won't fix it.

So heres my question???

Are there any other disk utiltiys out there that do a better job of correcting disk error's besides windows chkdsk?

I tried Norton disk doctor but don't want to install it so when booting off the cd the options are limited.

Thanks Allot for any suggestions..
    Rockit

15. 2004/10/08
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Rockit

This thread has a link ( on Abraxas' comment #3) to CheckNTFS.exe.

When you open the link it is a direct download for checkntfs. When you open that, it asks for a floppy and will make a bootable floppy for running ntfs chkdsk.

I don't know if it is better or not as I haven't had anything to fix.

16. 2004/10/08
    Rockit

Bill,
    I ran CheckNTFS.exe from the bootup disk and no errors were found.

Also ran Norton Disk Doctor from the cd and no errors found.

Ran Chkdsk /f and no errors found.

This is really screwy and I don't understand??

Whats the difference between ntfs 3.0 and ntfs 3.1?

According to Partition Magic ntfs 3.0 = windows 2000
    ntfs 3.1 = windows xp

It just doesn't make sense...
    Rockit :mad:

17. 2004/10/08
    ackerberg

ackerberg Inactive

Could there be a physical imperfection on your hard drive causing this problem? On the old machines there used to be a test for checking the drives for bad sectors and physical imperfections. Is there still such tests?

18. 2004/10/08
    Rockit

Good question,
    And I would like to know the answer since this hard drive is only a few months old and still under warrenty.

It's a western digital so I downloaded their hard drive checker utilitys and ran them once and of course there is no problem found.

I'll try running it again and see if it comes up with anything..
    Thanks
    Rockit

19. 2004/10/10
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Rockit

Well. it certainly a mystery to me. I don't think there is a thing wrong with your hard drive. I would bet on a registry entry gone bad causing a bad installation of PM 8.0.

I think it is time for an XP repair. I have done it on other computers and it is almost like a reinstall. Just read the questions carefully when they come up.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.