I am assuming you have your own service w/ COX in Springfield?
If the modem is connected directly to the computer do this:
1. disable wifi connection in Network Properties.
2. open LAN
Properties > double click TCP
> Advanced Button > WINS
tab > Enable netbios over TCP
> OK out.
2a. Obtain IP
address automatically & Obtain DNS
server address automatically > OK out.
3. shut off comp.
4. power off (unplug) cable modem > wait 10 seconds.
5. power on modem > wait until it synchronizes.
6. power on comp.
To test connection to cable modem:
1. open browser.
2. enter this address: http://192.168.100.1/
> press Enter.
3. Note the Receive level, Transmit level & modem status.