I tried what you mentioned. Did not work. Ben, I also discovered it wasn't an environment-related problem, either. I fixed it, and the fix was very simple. Here is how:
As seen at the bottom of the page at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q200915/
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and select the following registry key:
If you find that the (Default) data string looks like this:
"D:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\winword.exe" /n "%1"
you should change the string to look like this:
"D:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\Winword.exe" /n
To change the (Default) data string, follow these steps:
a. Click to select (Default).
b. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
c. In the Value data box, delete the "%1" and then click OK.
d. On the Registry menu, click Exit.
Case closed. Problem resolved
Thanks for both your kind help.