For some reason, when I access a website that uses Macromedia Flash, I am told over and over that my player needs to be updated, or I am told that I need to install a flash player because the site does not recognize that I already have it.
I have installed, re-installed and installed the latest version of the flash player over and over, and yet this message continues to surface.
Where is my flash player, and why do I keep getting these messages to update?
sandilew--Sites that have Flash Player content need to allow ActiveX controls to run. The easiest way to do that is to put the URL of the site into your Trusted Sites. (Uncheck the box "Require Server Verification".)
After you do that, click Refresh or exit and reenter the site.
In order to install Flash Player, adobe.com has to be allowed to use ActiveX controls. Putting it into Trusted Sites will also do that. It sounds like you have done that, but you can test for existence and version of FlashPlayer by visiting http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/
For that to test successfully, you will have to put macromedia.com into Trusted Sites!!
First, thank you so much for continuing to work with me on this.
I did as you suggested, went to Adobe to test the shockwave player and the flash player. Adobe.com was already listed in my trusted sites. The shockwave player worked just fine, but the Adoble flash player gave me the following message:
Get the Flash Player now ›
So I closed all other browser windows, downloaded and installed Flash Player 9 successfully. I watched it spin and tell me it was successfully installed (this must be about the 10th time I've done this now.) Then I returned to the test page..............
AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED THAT HAPPENED THE FIRST TIME I WENT!
The Shockwave player worked fine and I got the same message to intall the Flash Player. This only seconds after installing the flash player.
So NO, whatever is going on, adding it to the trusted sites is not making it work or fixing the problem.
First off I want to thank you Jim for supplying me with the URL to where I could test the flash player. It kept telling me that it needed updating.
Finally I installed the Adoble flash uninstaller program and totally removed the flash player. Then I went to Windows download and updated my DirectX user endtime whatever. Apparently it was not updated to the latest version. Then I went back and installed the Adoble Flash Player 9 from scratch.
After all that was done I went back to the flash player test page, and finally, for the first time, it played and told me both the shockwave player and the flash player were working just fine. Now I will keep my fingers crossed that this problem is finally solved.
Again, thank you for all your help.