1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Why all these "New type" of problems in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bobk, 2010/02/01.

1. 2010/02/01
    Bobk

Bobk Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I've been trying to solve a number of problems unique to Windows 7, and all seem to be related to "Security ". I've heard from a few people (that I know & trust) that say there is just WAY TOO MUCH security in Windows 7.

All I know is that even when logged in as an Admin, and having properties on my important programs checked to run as Admin, I cannot run them from script files without sitting there - waiting for Win 7 to ask me "ARE YOU REALLY SURE?" .. That plus all my old utilites from DOS days up to and including XP, are prevented from running by Win 7 with error message ".... this program ... not allowed with this version of Windows..." .. Even programs that ran on Vista!

Can anyone confirm this "UBER built-in security "? Am I missing something obvious? after all, I've been reading and testing for over two weeks and can't find my way past some of, what on XP & earlier, were non-issues.

I'm seeing Window 7 as the loss of "PERSONAL" computing! ( "do it MS way, or no way ")

Bob

Bobk,
  2. 2010/02/02
    kimsland

kimsland Inactive

These "problems" are a feature in Windows 7 so as standard Users do not cause any issues with Windows (as they could easily do in XP and somewhat Vista as well)
    ie This is a Security Feature that helps the User to have Windows running without anything being accidentally edited or installed by the User, thus causing Windows 7 to crash (if what has been allowed is in conflict to Windows 7)

In saying that, you can Disable and Turn Off UAC in Windows 7, so as not to see this Security feature (only recommended for advanced users)
    A quick Google gave a few thousand responses, THIS ONE looked good because it gives a few alternative options.

It is not a fault or a problem. It is a Windows Security Feature

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/02/02
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Ditto to -> It is not a fault or a problem. It is a Windows Security Feature AND as you've seen - there is a steep learning curve to the new operating system.

5. 2010/02/02
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

:D

That's the price you get to pay from not having "played" with Vista, and now trying to go from XP > Windows 7

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Chalk it up to learning curve. You got some info from users. You could also try browsing the Vista forum.... same 'problem'.

More security is needed. You could of course stick with Windows XP (which will soon enter its End Of Life)

Arie,
  6. 2010/02/02
    Bobk

Thanks guys, I feel better now that you've pointed out how to remove the shackles preventing me from doing what *I* want to do! ..

But, once I turn off those security 'feechurs', will those old DOS & XP programs run? Well, I'm about to find out..

Thanks to all..
    Even you too Arie... Reminds me of the days I loved to needle others :p

Bob
    [what will I be learning in week three!! WATCH OUT! ]

Bobk,
  7. 2010/02/03
    Arie

DOS? most likely not. You should be able to run most XP programs even with normal security set.

BTW, I have set mine to one 'notch' above Never Notify, which is Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop).

If a WinXP program doesn't function, try setting it's compatibility mode (right-click the program shortcut Properties > Compatibility).

Arie,
  8. 2010/02/03
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member

Certainly without a doubt, Windows7 is in charge, if you disagree and do otherwise then as I found out the hard way - a "Blue Screen" or worse not able to come out of a "Safe Boot up ".
    Only way out was to return computer back to factory settings (Vesta), re-install Windows7 and other software titles.
    Lesson has certainly taught me to accept Windows 7, rules.

9. 2010/02/03
    kimsland

kimsland Inactive

You didn't reply to your Topic and if the MSconfig was set incorrectly or not.
    Other than that, there were other options to take:
    System Restore
    Startups
    Malware
    Drivers
    Registry fixes
    Tweeks
    Repair

The list can go on. Since you had access to Safe Mode, I'm sure Support would have continued on with your Topic until everything was tried.
    The "lesson" was not taught. You decided on re-install of Windows7, and you decided on not continuing your own Topic.

Windows7 is the safest and best Windows version so far. If I had the money I'd go out and buy the full version right now (I don't like upgrades) Ideally I'd buy a computer that came with Windows7 complete.

10. 2010/02/03
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member

You refer me to my topic Safe Mode.
    I did use the screen showing the different modes in restarting the computer and this after several attempts, computer still refused to boot up except in the Safe Mode. MSconfig was checked and found as correct.
    After not receiving any further assistance from the Forum, I contacted my computer's Support Team.
    After several attempts in advising me, Support suggested quickest way would be a factory setting and this proved correct in my case.
    I only posted to the current post as what I thought would be of help and not what should be carried out by Bobk. I can only apologise for my entry if found as incorrect.

11. 2010/02/03
    kimsland

kimsland Inactive

Two WindowsBBS forum members did reply to you, and they remain the last posts in your thread.
    ie You would have received further assistance, but you needed to reply. Its basically a two way street on Forums. They were waiting for your response (obviously being irrelevant now as you have re-installed)

My point was that Windows7 is not at fault here. And I have now stated this to two members in this thread

12. 2010/02/03
    Bobk

I've found that all my old DOS ".COM" files won't work. I had a simple 683 Byte (not MB or KB, just B) REDATE.COM program from 1986 that I used several times a week. "C:> REDATE somefile /MM-DD-YYY [HH:MM:SS] "

Though I've found a couple of redaters that work on Win 7, they were designed for other needs and are no where near as simple as that old DOS pgm. I could go on with over a dozen more 'refused' programs I could've used the first 3 days of hell I went through with Win 7.. But if it was ".COM ", Win 7 rejected running it. I am still in dire need of a harddrive editor (read, view, change & write a sector) XP SP2 gave us one (DISKPROBE), Vista got the same program, but where is the Win 7 version??? Why doesn't the XP or Vista verson run on W7?
    Why did Win 7 refuse to install my two releases of PhotoShop! Didn't even start, just it's "...not compatible with this release of windows... "?
    I don't have the cash to replace all those programs that no longer work, and the $84 fire sales on XP packages is looking better all the time.

It is apparent that MS isn't concerned with usability as much as "CYA" security.

All opionions are mine & subject to technical proof they're wrong (which happens often, but so far not with this OS)

Bobk

13. 2010/02/03
    kimsland

kimsland Inactive

I suppose to stop you mentioning the million other programs released since DOS days! That don't work on Windows7.
    You need to come to grips with the fact that Windows7 is an update and new release to all other Windows versions. Even Windows 64Bit versions have issues on many 32Bit programs, so that's another can of worms.

Programs update (like Photoshop) And old versions eventually stop being supported (by the manufacturer) This is the age in which we live. We all want new and extra stuff, so Windows and programs can do more.

Well I suppose not all of us want to continually fork out money and update. Those users (ie me) stick with really really old versions of Windows like the currently supported XP (but even this is about to expire with MS support!)

14. 2010/02/04
    Arie

Things change, we update & move on.

Like kimsland said, if you want to keep using your old stuff, you need to keep using your old OS.